About Clinton

Institutional Profile

Clinton College has a very proud heritage which spans more than a century. This historical perspective will provide an overview of the heritage and highlight significant accomplishments for some 118 years.

o    The College was founded in 1894 by two ministers of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, Presiding Elder Nero Crockett and Rev. W.M. Robinson

o    The College was named in honor of Bishop Caleb Isom Clinton, Presiding Bishop of the South Carolina Conference

o    The College was founded in 1894 to meet the needs of descendants of slaves who did not have access to higher education

o    Clinton Institute began as a boarding high school, providing high quality education to hundreds of newly freed blacks

o    In the early years of this century, the school became known as Clinton Normal and Industrial Institute and was authorized to grant state teacher certificates.

o    In March 2013, the College celebrated 119 years of continuous operations in Rock Hill, SC

o    Today, the institution has an open door policy, to those who have achieved, and to those who have not reached their full potential

o    The College is accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS)

At Clinton College, we stress the importance of a liberal arts education, and offer Associate Degrees in five areas.  Three of these programs --Early Childhood Development, Religion and the Natural Sciences-- were added in the last seven years. The two new Bachelor degree programs were approved during the spring of 2013 and will begin being offered in Fall 2013.


Significant College Highlights:

  • In 2010, the College received a three-year Department of Energy Grant for $1.9 million to rest environmental materials, conduct research, and assist with course development. 

  • The grant funded ten science majors who received up to $9,200  in scholarship support and five science majors who received $5,000  two year research assistantship. 

  • Grant funds were used to develop courses in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)

  • Two state-of-the-arts classrooms and science labs have been renovated at a cost of $260,000

  • Chemistry and physics labs received new working tables and lab stations to accommodate 8 – 10 student.

  • The institution purchased a 25-passenger Mini-Bus in 2011 and a 15-passenger van in 2012 in order save the College from renting vehicles to transport students to special events, field trips and basketball games.

  • Campus beautification included new wrought iron fence with columns

  • Institutional Advancement has established several new giving levels for potential donors

  • Board of Trustees approved the silent phase of $10,000,000 Capital Campaign

  • Through a Federal HUD Grant, two homes have been constructed, seven homes renovated, and the College partnered with the City of Rock Hill to refurbish Carroll Park, a local park in the community.

  • The 62,000 sq. ft. “Dream Complex” will house classrooms, science laboratories, administrative offices, an auditorium, music library and practice room and a gymnasium, with a wellness center. This LEED certified silver building will transform the campus.

  • The endowment has increased from $89,000 in 2003 to $566,000 in 2013. The value of the campus has increased from approximately 2 million dollars in 2003 to 7 million dollars in 2013.

  • The substantive changes that were approved by TRACS in April 2013 include a change in the name from Clinton Junior College to Clinton College, a change in mission, and the approval of two bachelor degree programs.

  • The state of South Carolina approved the name change from Clinton Junior College to Clinton College, April 19, 2013.

  • Two bachelors programs were implemented in Fall 2013. The programs are a bachelor of science in business administration and a bachelor of arts in religion.